Friday, August 6, 2010

Par for the Course


"Golf has probably kept more people sane than psychiatrists have."
- Harvey Penick

You learn about it from golf aficionados and connoisseurs as you play more and learn more about the game. Duffers know a lot about it. Many from course to course across the country and throughout the world swear by it. Some simply never heard of it.

It is Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings from a Lifetime in Golf, a timeless classic that speaks beyond sports and offers insights into life itself. Harvey Penick, who began his golfing career as a caddie, shares a variety of life lessons and wisdom for golfers of every level. The book is often referred to as "The Little Red Book" and Penick also wrote The Little Green Book.

I love golf. It frustrates the heck out of me and I always say that I'm done playing- somewhere around the 12th or 13th hole as I stare at my scorecard. Yet, I always return. I keep coming back. I love the challenge of the game.

Businessmen, entrepreneurs and clergy can learn a lot from golf. Many play for fun and others play to relax. Golf teaches us that we don't have it all and that we have to adjust our approach as the conditions around us change. For starters, golf requires us to adjust to awkward hand positions and stances based upon where the ball is located in relation to the hole. Golf teaches us how to evaluate our options and make calculated decisions.

Grab a copy of Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings from a Lifetime in Golf or The Little Green Book. He shares timeless wisdom that may not cure your wild slice but can certainly aid you in approach some critical decisions in the life and with your business.

No comments:

Post a Comment