Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Daily Conditioning

Be sure you know the condition of your flocks,
give careful attention to your herds- Proverbs 27:23 (NIV)

Proverbs for Business

You need to have a handle on what you have under your care.  Management simply relates to how you handle business matters.  I love The One Minute Manager.  That's good stuff, but I can't totally depend on that to get me where God wants me to be a s a believer.

I need the Bible.  I don't need Bible-based material or Bible-inspired sources.  I need the Bible itself.  I need God's Word to serve as a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path.

A close friend introduced me to the Book of Proverbs.  He suggested it as a daily study based upon something another Christian had shared with him.  I tried it out and found nuggets of wisdom in my NIV Bible day by day, rewriting verses of my daily chapter of Proverbs that stuck out for me or struck me in my heart and spirit.  That continues to this day in a more advanced study, but it is the same basic activity.  I am reading Proverbs daily.

Later, while I was in an airport back East, I discovered Steve Marr's Business Proverbs, a devotional based upon a study of Proverbs.  I love it.  I keep a copy.  I usually end up giving away a copy to some excited and enthusiastic entrepreneur or some freshly-called man of God.  I give it away because of what it has meant to me.  I give it away because it is like the goodness of the Good News.  It's just too good to keep to myself.  It has to be shared.

You need a daily dose of wisdom.  Proverbs can offer that to you.  Psalms has a gold mine of jewels in it, too.  Ecclesiastes gives 12 chapters of wisdom from Solomon.  Take these on daily.  Take in the words of these books of the Bible day by day.  Let them lead you and guide you.  become conditioned to get refreshed by these words daily.
for riches do not endure forever...- Proverbs 27:24 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment